Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

Probably as good a day as any to start a blog about running. I am sure many resolutions are being made today about running, diet and exercise in general. I hope that all those people wanting to get into better shape succeed. Perhaps our paths might cross someday and I can provide some information or inspiration. At least I have the running thing well under way which I will elaborate on in time. If I can be as dedicated about writing as I have recently been about running, I will be very pleased. One thing I hope to achieve is to satisfy a desire to talk about my running without boring my family, mainly my wife to tears. My wife, Kathleen, of 23 years has been very patient and helpful, yet sometimes has to say "enough". OK, I know I can talk and talk about running, but I feel I have a lot to say, and I just need to let it out. Wow, I think this has the potential to be more fun than I imagined. Well, if I'm supposed to be writing about running here goes. First of all. why sneakers optional? Thank you daughter Morgan, 20 year old, oldest of four for the suggestion. Amazing how many names of running blogs are already taken, I mean a crazy amount of names I came up with, and I didn't want to just add Kevin to the beginning or end. Sneakers optional does say a lot about me. Having recently gotten back into running, it was suggested by a stranger in a bookstore that I read Born To Run, and that is really where this story begins. Inspiring is not an adequate description of what this book was to me, it needs to be put under "life changing". If you are a runner this book is a must read. I was with daughter #2 at the time I bought the book so I will take this time to mention 18 year old Jillian. So, my journey from reading that book until now has only been about six months. In that short time, I have gone from thinking I was going to be a barefoot runner, to five fingers, to where I am at now. What I learned quickly was that barefoot running can be a great step in the process of becoming a better runner but it doesn't need to be the last step. It isn't for everyone that is for sure, although, I think it can benefit most people as a tool to teach us to run properly and injury free. The next book I read was Barefoot Running Step By Step. This book served, as the name implies, what I needed to know to progress along in my pursuit of what was going to work for me. So where am I now? I train in shoes most of the time, 75%, the remaining I go either barefoot or five fingers depending on weather conditions and terrain. This balance has kept me injury free and running distances I never thought I would be capable of, ever, and enjoying it. Well, I can't be completely honest without saying, yes there are times I think, really, I need to run that far, today? I can say one thing, I am learning so much about running and myself, and it's these things I will be sharing in this blog. There it is, post #1 a little rough, but done. I am starting the new year off exactly the way I wanted to. Happy New Year everyone and happy running.

No comments:

Post a Comment